Hey guys !
So as usual, I went ahead and uploaded my crafts onto DA, and it someone requested the Totoro Cake ! :D
I’ve never made a cake in that particular shape before, and it was actually meant to be some kind of paper holder before it turned into a cake … ahahaha
So here we go !
- Dark grey ( This is just left over clay)
- Sponge cake colour ( In my case, its Studio sculpey sunshine and butterscotch mixed together)
- To get the sponge cake colour, I mixed the yellow with white clay. If you already have the shade you want, you don’t need to.
- Shape the clay into a dome shape
- Cut it in half. You can see that I ended up squishing the clay as I cut it ,, just reshape it.
- Take the lighter grey, and roll it out
- Place the base of cake upside down onto the filling and cut around it.
- Roll out the new shade of grey you made and wrap it around the cake.
- Cut off the excess and blend away the edges.
- If you have to , reshape the dome shape.
- From the excess clay, make two blobs that would be the ears. It depends on how big you want them to be.
- Roll each blob out , making the one end much more narrower than the base.
- Take the toothpicks and break the tips off.
- Place the toothpicks into the base of the ears.
- Using a tool, make indents there you want the ears to go
- Place the toothpicks in there, and blend the ears in. ( You can see I used cornstarch to help blend)
- Since this creation doesn’t have a tinfoil centre ( XD ! ) , you can cut a piece out wherever you want.
- Texture away with the needle tool !
- Then, if you want to add some more detail, use the needle tool to make small lines on the outside
- Mix the greens until you have a shade you like, and made a leaf with it.
- Place it between the ears.
- Take the black, and make little blobs with them.
- Place it around the base of the cake. These are the dust sprites ^^
- Bake and Glaze ^^
And there we go ! :D
Quite simple right ?
I’m still trying to get the Etsy thing sorted so I can start selling my charms u__u;;
But I’m still not sure how successful it’ll be…
Anyway, Thanks the reading !