Turns out, I actually had another tutorial left for you guys wahaha !
This time, it’s Aang and Appa in the glass bottle. I think that this was definitely one of the harder creations to make because it had to be so small ! Aang should have been smaller, but he was aready at like 1.4mm width…. it was too hard to make him any smaller than that ><.
Here is the listing on Etsy <– link !
Also, I apologize in advance for some of these images…. it was really late at night (as usual =”=), and since I had to zoom in a lot with my camera, the quality isn’t the best.
So let’s go !
- An off white clay
- Dark brown ( you can see that I’m about to mix the clay haha)
- White and black acrylic paint
- Black clay
- Brown acrylic paint (if you don’t have it, just mix the primary colours together)
- Flesh coloured clay
- Light blue acrylic paint
- Yellow or gold clay
- Translucent clay
- Blue clay
- Deco gel
- Blue pastel
- Glass bottle (ofc)
- For the base, take the light blue clay and squish it to the bottom.
- I used my round tool and pushed it out.
- For random see through(ish) bits, add little blobs of translucent clay
- Then for the iceberg , take a blob of translucent clay, and squish it using the opening of the bottle. This is so you know how big the iceberg needs to be
- Cut off the excess
- For the water effect, mix deco gel and blue pastel together
- Carefully add in the TLS into the bottom, spread it around using a tool
- Make sure you don’t touch the sides of the bottle, it becomes a pain to clean T__T (But if you do, just use a q-tip and clean it. Try not to swish it around too much or you will end up spreading the deco gel. One hard swipe it enough !
- Then, draw a little circle so that you’ll have a template of how big Appa should be
- Before you make Appa, make the iceberg.
- Place that piece of translucent clay into the bottle.
- Use a tool, squish out the middle, and make a space for Appa to be.
- Use tweezers and pinch out the edges
- For Appa, make a round body + a tail like totoro.
- Roll out a thin log.
- Cut off about 6 pieces and squish one end. Those are Appa’s legs. The squished edge will help us blend easier.
- Arrange the legs on the side of the body
- Blend the legs and using a pointed tool, you may want to re-shape the legs a little
- Do the same for the other side
- Using the pointed tool add some ‘fur’ texture (kind of like how it was done in totoro)
- Using the black, roll out some tiny balls and place three on each paw
- For the head, take a blob and squish in the middle
- Attach the head into the body
- and with brown clay push it into the middle
- Add the top of Appa’s head and his snout
- Add a black triangle for the nose
- Roll out the black (horns? ) and place them on top of his head. You may want to make some indents before you put them in
- Take a blob of brown, and kind of like the iceberg, make a little base for Aang to sit in.
- Place it onto Appa’s back
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Make sure you don’t burn him !
- Once he has cooled down, paint on his eyes.
- Place him the iceberg and see if he will fit. If not just make some space for him
- That black circle is just showing you some effects you can make. I used the pointed tool and pushed in the clay. The deco gel seeped in and now it looks more … icey ? I dont know ahahaha
- With the brown paint, add the rest of the details on Appa.
- Glaze ! :D
- You can see on the ruler, Appa measures about 1.5 cm . Really tiny ! That’s why he was so hard to make T__T I started over several times.
- For ang, take the yellow clay and make a small cone-ish shape
- Roll out the orange clay thinly and cut off a strip. Wrap it around the top of Aang
- Take the flesh coloured clay and make Aang’s head.
- Bake ! Not too long !
- Mix a really light blue
- Paint on the arrow on Aang’s head
- Add some eyes, and if you want a smile…. I regret adding it on haha, he looks weird..
- (You can see how small he is, I had to use tweezers to hold him or else my fingers would have been in the way of the camera)
- Bake the bottle for about 10 minutes
- Stick Aang into the top of Appa’s platform (?) thing.
- Carefully place both of them onto the iceberg.
- You can see that it kind of looks different from before. I kept repositing Appa and accidently broke pieces off the iceberg T___T so gutted…
And it’s done ! YAY :D
There you go !
If you ever make this, please make sure you take your time. It’s so easy to make mistakes since the scale of these type of creations are so small.
Ahh, I hope this tutorial was easy to understand ^^
Two more weeks and I’m going to have my mock exams so I haven’t had time to make anything new. I think I’ll go on a short break on the tutorials for now.
Thanks for reading !
I’ll be back soon !